In accordance with our museum’s approved covid19 lockdown operational plan the operation times at our museum are as follows: During the week the museum is opened to the public from 09:00 to 16:45. On Saturdays and public holidays it is opened from 09:00 to 12:00 and closed Sundays. On 24,25,27 April 2021 & 1 - 2 May 2021 the museum will be open from 09:00 to 16:00. The museum is operated under strict level 1 lockdown rules and regulations. For example, visitors without masks are denied entry to the premises. Visitors’ temperature is tested and those who have 38°C or more are not allowed to enter the premises. The caravel is closed until further notice. The aquarium touch tank at the Shell Museum is operated like other tanks, visitors are not allowed to touch the animals. Only 100 visitors per building are allowed at a time.
About The Dias Museum
THE SHELL MUSEUM
This structure was erected in 1902 next to the Post Office Tree as an extension to the old mill and was mainly used as a store. In later years Mr. Joe Shirley used the building for his plumbing business, after which it became known as the "Shirley Building". The building was also used as a furniture factory and garage for motor repairs. A concrete platform laid on rough stone boulders was excavated during renovations of the building.
THE MARITIME MUSEUM
The building as originally erected in 1901 to serve as a grain and sawmill. It has now been adapted to serve as a unique Maritime Museum. A life-sized replica of Bartolomeu Dias’s caravel is on display together with all aspects of the maritime history of the early Portuguese, Dutch and English navigators.
Bartolomeu Dias – the master mariner after which the Mossel Bay Museum Complex is named, was the first explorer to set foot on South African soil here in Mossel Bay on 3 February 1488. He named Mossel Bay “The Watering Place of Saint Blaize” after arriving here on the holy day of the patron Saint Blaize and collecting fresh water from the fountain which today still flows.
- The Granary was built in 1786 by the Dutch East India Company. This led to the opening up and expansion of the grain and wool trades. In 1949/50 a large warehouse was erected on the site by the “Suid Westelike Landbou Bpk.” And the 1787 granary was demolished. With the demolition of the warehouse in 1986 the original foundations of the granary were discovered and a replica of the 1786 building was then erected on them.
- It is now used as a the main entrance for the museum complex and educational centre.
- A live speciman table with examples of plants and flowers found in the Mossel Bay area on display in the granary.